German Language Resources for Families
Dictionaries and grammar references
- German-English dictionary from LEO.org
- German-English dictionary from dict.cc
- German grammar in English from canoo.net
German books, audiobooks, and podcasts
Places for ordering German books, audiobooks, and DVDs
- Alphabet Garten (also offers some free downloads)
Reference guides to German literature from the Goethe Institute
- Children and Young Adult Literature Portal
- Litrix.de - reference guide to both adult and children's books
Audiobooks, podcasts, and similar video
- Librivox - free user-contributed audiobooks in German (and other languages)
- Hallo-eltern.de - free podcasts of stories and fairy tales in German
- Lesekorb - free podcasts of stories, myths, and fairy tales in German
- Märchen zum Mitlesen - Youtube channel where the text of a story scrolls by in German as it is being read aloud
- Kidspods.de - free podcasts of various kinds
German-language websites for kids
- ZZZebra - a web magazine (sort of like Highlights)
- Multikids - a selective, kid-friendly directory to German-language websites for kids
- Blinde Kuh - search engine and activity site for kids
- Kidsweb.de - activity site for kids
- Antolin.de - reading program for kids. Ask your teacher or the TCGIS office for login information.
German-language television, video, and radio for kids
- Logo - Kid-oriented news and science show. Site has streaming shows, games, and activities.
- Wissen macht Ah! - Kid-oriented news and science show. Site has streaming shows, games, and activities.
- Planet Schule - Educational TV aimed at students and teachers.
- Die Sendung mit der Maus - Cartoon show for kids, similar to some PBS shows. Site has streaming shows, games, and activities.
- Tiere bis unters Dach - German TV show about a veterinarian and his family who move to the Black Forest from Hamburg. The main character is Greta, the vet's daughter, who is in third grade.
- Märchen aus aller Welt - short, animated fairy tales for kids.
- pikcha.tv - Site for viewing animated picture books (English site here). Contact the TCGIS office for login information.
- Daserste.de - An assortment of shows can be viewed online. Some are suitable for kids; some are not.
- ZDF.de - The most-recent week's shows can generally be viewed online. Some are suitable for kids; some are not.
- Deutsche Welle (note: this used to be a radio and TV station, but they shut down the radio side in 2011):
- Deutsche Welle's German courses
- Information from Deutsche Welle about Studying in Germany (English) / Studieren in Deutschland(German)
English-language sites for kids
- Collection of math-related links put together by the Jefferson County, Tennessee school district
Minnesota institutions that promote German language and culture
- Germanic-American Institute (GAI) - TCGIS's "authorizing entity" under Minnesota's charter-school laws.
- GAI Sommerschule - German-language summer camps at the GAI
- German Immersion Preschool (Kinderstube), at two Twin Cities locations, operated by the GAI
- Concordia Language Villages - Residential summer-language programs for kids, plus sessions for families. The German village is known as Waldsee.
New Britannica School
- A Study Guide for International Students in Germany
- The University of Minnesota's programs for students in K-12 and educators
- The Multilingual Children's Association - Site for parents raising multilingual kids.
- Multilingual Minnesota - An organization that promotes multilingualism in Minnesota homes and schools.
- The German government's information site for US citizens
- http://www.germany-visa.org/ - Contains detailed information about Germany VISA
- http://www.germanyhis.com/ - Contain detailed and accurate information about the Health Insurance System in Germany
Can't find what you're looking for? Search here:
School Year: Mon.-Fri. 8:00am-4:00pm
1031 Como Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55103
University of St. Thomas
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105