Why Choose Twin Cities German Immersion School?
Twin Cities German Immersion School (TCGIS) is a vibrant, growing, and tuition-free K-8 charter immersion school conveniently located in between St. Paul and Minneapolis.
TCGIS serves 588 students in the 2019-2020 school year. We are still accepting applications in grades 2, 4, 5, and 6 for this school year.
The enrollment window for the 2020-2021 school year is from October 15, 2019 to February 24th, 2020.
Our lottery for enrollment will take place on March 3rd, 2020. Notifications will be sent to families by March 13th.
The Strength of TCGIS
- Small class sizes ensuring individualized attention — maximum 24 students per class*
- Full-day immersion kindergarten.
- English instruction beginning in 3rd grade.
- Progressive art, music, gym, and science programs.
- A strong sense of community for parents as well as children — an amazing 87% of parents volunteer in some capacity at the school.
- Responsive Classroom strategies that form the foundation for success in a strong academic curriculum.
- Spanish language offered in the 7th grade, making us one of the few immersion schools in the United States to offer a third language.
- Standardized assessments have objectively measured our success in language proficiency and academic skills. These include the A2 Language Proficiency Test from the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages in 5th grade; the Student Oral Proficiency Assessment in 2nd grade; and the state-required Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment tests in reading, math and science in grades 3 through 8. When individual classes dip below that level of performance, classroom teachers receive active support and interventions.
- An outstanding German language library collection.
- A strong Internship Program with a large number of Teacher Interns from Germany and other German-speaking countries
- International faculty & staff
*Exceptions to this rule do exist and are consistent with the TCGIS Enrollment Policy 509.1. Examples of class sizes over 24 are generally limited to the admittance of TCGIS siblings or children of staff.
Why Choose Immersion Education?
- Childhood is the best time to develop an appreciation and understanding of diverse cultures/peoples, and perspectives in the world.
- Children learn language by listening and repeating, and don't have any fear of a "foreign" language.
- Studies consistently show that immersion students do as well as or better than comparable non-immersion students in English language skills, math, science, and social studies.
- Children of today will need to be bilingual to be successful in the global society and economy of tomorrow.
Sprechen Sie Deutsch? - Do You Speak German?
In an increasingly globalized world, German language proficiency gives students access to the culture of three leading European nations: Switzerland, Austria, and Germany. Together, the inhabitants of these three countries, combined with native speakers in other regions of the globe, make German the most spoken language in the European Union and the tenth most spoken language in the world. Find out more