Why Choose Twin Cities German Immersion School?
Twin Cities German Immersion School (TCGIS) is a vibrant, growing, and tuition-free K-8 charter immersion school conveniently located in between St. Paul and Minneapolis.
The enrollment window for the 2020-2021 school year closed on February 24th, 2020. Late applications are accepted and will be added to the end of the respective grade level's waiting list, if applicable.
We are still accepting applications for open places in 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th grades for the 2020 - 2021 school year.
The Strength of TCGIS
- Small class sizes ensuring individualized attention
- Full-day immersion kindergarten.
- English instruction beginning in 3rd grade.
- Progressive art, music, gym, and science programs.
- A strong sense of community for parents as well as children — an amazing 87% of parents volunteer in some capacity at the school.
- Responsive Classroom strategies that form the foundation for success in a strong academic curriculum.
- Spanish language offered in the 7th grade, making us one of the few immersion schools in the United States to offer a third language.
- Standardized assessments have objectively measured our success in language proficiency and academic skills. These include the A2 Language Proficiency Test from the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages in 5th grade; the Student Oral Proficiency Assessment in 2nd grade; and the state-required Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment tests in reading, math and science in grades 3 through 8. When individual classes dip below that level of performance, classroom teachers receive active support and interventions.
- An outstanding German language library collection.
- A strong Internship Program with a large number of Teacher Interns from Germany and other German-speaking countries
- International faculty & staff
Why Choose Immersion Education?
- Childhood is the best time to develop an appreciation and understanding of diverse cultures/peoples, and perspectives in the world.
- Children learn language by listening and repeating, and don't have any fear of a "foreign" language.
- Studies consistently show that immersion students do as well as or better than comparable non-immersion students in English language skills, math, science, and social studies.
- Children of today will need to be bilingual to be successful in the global society and economy of tomorrow.
Sprechen Sie Deutsch? - Do You Speak German?
In an increasingly globalized world, German language proficiency gives students access to the culture of three leading European nations: Switzerland, Austria, and Germany. Together, the inhabitants of these three countries, combined with native speakers in other regions of the globe, make German the most spoken language in the European Union and the tenth most spoken language in the world. Find out more