German Language Resources for Families
Dictionaries and grammar references
- German-English dictionary from LEO.org
- German-English dictionary from dict.cc
- German grammar in English from canoo.net
German books, audiobooks, and podcasts
Places for ordering German books, audiobooks, and DVDs
Reference guides to German literature from the Goethe Institute
Audiobooks, podcasts, and similar video
- Librivox - free user-contributed audiobooks in German (and other languages)
- Hallo-eltern.de - free podcasts of stories and fairy tales in German
- Lesekorb - free podcasts of stories, myths, and fairy tales in German
- Märchen zum Mitlesen - Youtube channel where the text of a story scrolls by in German as it is being read aloud
- Kidspods.de - free podcasts of various kinds
German-language websites for kids
- ZZZebra - a web magazine (sort of like Highlights)
- Multikids - a selective, kid-friendly directory to German-language websites for kids
- Blinde Kuh - search engine and activity site for kids
- Kidsweb.de - activity site for kids
- Antolin.de - reading program for kids. Ask your teacher or the TCGIS office for login information.
German-language television, video, and radio for kids
- Logo - Kid-oriented news and science show. Site has streaming shows, games, and activities.
- Wissen macht Ah! - Kid-oriented news and science show. Site has streaming shows, games, and activities.
- Planet Schule - Educational TV aimed at students and teachers.
- Die Sendung mit der Maus - Cartoon show for kids, similar to some PBS shows. Site has streaming shows, games, and activities.
- Tiere bis unters Dach - German TV show about a veterinarian and his family who move to the Black Forest from Hamburg. The main character is Greta, the vet's daughter, who is in third grade.
- Daserste.de - An assortment of shows can be viewed online. Some are suitable for kids; some are not.
- ZDF.de - The most-recent week's shows can generally be viewed online. Some are suitable for kids; some are not.
- Deutsche Welle (note: this used to be a radio and TV station, but they shut down the radio side in 2011):
- Deutsche Welle's German courses
- Information from Deutsche Welle about Studying in Germany (English) / Studieren in Deutschland(German)
English-language sites for kids
- Collection of math-related links put together by the Jefferson County, Tennessee school district
Minnesota institutions that promote German language and culture
- Germanic-American Institute (GAI) - TCGIS's "authorizing entity" under Minnesota's charter-school laws.
- GAI Sommerschule - German-language summer camps at the GAI
- German Immersion Preschool (Kinderstube), at two Twin Cities locations, operated by the GAI
- Concordia Language Villages - Residential summer-language programs for kids, plus sessions for families. The German village is known as Waldsee.
New Britannica School
- A Study Guide for International Students in Germany
- The University of Minnesota's programs for students in K-12 and educators
- The Multilingual Children's Association - Site for parents raising multilingual kids.
- Multilingual Minnesota - An organization that promotes multilingualism in Minnesota homes and schools.
- The German government's information site for US citizens
- http://www.germany-visa.org/ - Contains detailed information about Germany VISA
- http://www.germanyhis.com/ - Contain detailed and accurate information about the Health Insurance System in Germany
7.30am - 4pm
Tel & Fax
1031 Como Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55103
University of St. Thomas
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105